NBA Suspends 2019/20 Season Due to Coronavirus

Rockets' Eric Gordon (left) defending Clippers' Lou Williams (right) in Rockets vs Clippers game in 2018. Photo by Jevone Moore/Cal Sport Media/CSM/REX/Shutterstock

After postponing several games in past days due to fear of coronavirus pandemic, the NBA has now decided to suspend the 2019/2020 season altogether “until further notice.” The decision was made after Utah Jazz’s center Rudy Gobert tested positive for the virus, also known as COVID-19, on Wednesday.

“The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of [Wednesday’s] schedule of games until further notice,” said the league in a statement.  “The NBA will use this hiatus to determine the next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.”

The sports events in Europe started getting postponed or played without the audience since last week due to coronavirus outbreak. NBA, however, kept its usual schedule to begin this week although several measures were discussed, including playing in empty arenas. But following the news that Gobert is positive, the league opted not to take any risks.

The list of NBA players affected by coronavirus might increase in the next couple of days, as teams are awaiting test results. According to sources, Gobert’s teammate Donovan Mitchell also tested positive.

The teams that played against Jazz in recent days are told to self-quarantine, with NBA expected to take further steps once the conference with the board of governors ends.

Other leagues are following NBA’s steps, with NHL and MLS expected to officially suspend their seasons in the next couple of days. MLB, on the other hand, will most likely cancel spring training.