Many people believe 2021’s second-round pick Javonte Williams is the future of the Denver Broncos’ backfield. However, that future will have to wait a while if Melvin Gordon manages to have a say in it.
Gordon, who started 16 games in 2021 for the Broncos, told reporters on Tuesday that he won’t give up his top running back spot without a fight.
“I told [Broncos general manager George Paton] when I was at the [negotiating] table, I’m not going to lay down, I’m not going to lay down,” Gordon, who signed a new one-year deal with Denver in April, said. ” … I’ve always got that mindset that I’ve got to go get it every year.”
Despite being a starter, Gordon shared carries with Williams last year. They finished the year with 203 carries, although the veteran was more successful with 918 yards and eight touchdowns. The rookie, on the other hand, had 903 yards and four TDs en route to the PFWA All-Rookie Team honor.
Melvin Gordon, who is a two-time Pro Bowler, initially planned to change teams in the free agency. However, it turned out that there were not a lot of teams who could guarantee him significant playing time. This and Denver’s acquisition of star quarterback Russell Wilson ended up prompting Gordon to stay put despite an upcoming battle for carries.