Liverpool Shocks Barcelona with Stunning Champions League Comeback

Jordan Henderson of Liverpool celebrates a 4-0 victory over FC Barcelona. Photo by Paul Greenwood/BPI/REX/Shutterstock (10230624fh)

What happened on Tuesday night at Anfield will go down as one of the most memorable nights in the history of the UEFA Champions League. The favorite to win the competition bowed out after a shocking comeback that very few could’ve seen coming.

After losing 3-0 at the Camp Nou in the first leg of their semi-final matchup against FC Barcelona, Liverpool completed a stunning come-from-behind triumph by winning 4-0. This result sealed their invitation to the final of the 2019 edition of the UEFA Champions League.

Barcelona was the heavy favorite to advance going into the match, and only had to avoid losing by 4 in order to go on to the final. They were unable to fulfill their task, however, and Jurgen Klopp’s Reds memorably took advantage.

Barcelona was sluggish and overly cautious all night, and Liverpool came out strong and without any fear.

The Reds came out early and put Barcelona on notice with a 7th minute goal by Divock Origi, starting in place of an injured Mo Salah. Liverpool was without two of its biggest stars in Salah and Roberto Firmino.

Barcelona tightened things up until a disastrous second half, when Liverpool scored the three goals they needed to advance.

Georginio Wijnaldum, an unheralded Dutch attacker for Liverpool, miraculously scored two goals in two minutes to even up the draw at 3 apiece.

He scored in the 54th and 56th minutes, shocking Barça.

The real heartbreaker for Barcelona, however, came in the 79th minute.

After conceding a corner kick, Barcelona’s defense was arranging itself and keeper Marc-Andre Ter Stegen was clapping and rallying his time when Liverpool’s Trent Alexander-Arnold took advantage of the unfocused defense and delivered a pass to a wide-open Divock Origi.

Origi buried the shot past Ter Stegen, sending Anfield into complete pandemonium.

Liverpool had completed the comeback and held on to win 4-0 and advance to the final in Madrid in three weeks.