Cleveland Indians spent the past few weeks considering various trade proposals for their All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor, but it seems like no one made them a compelling offer. Indians’ president Chris Antonetti told the media on Wednesday that he expects Lindor to start the 2020 MLB season with the team.
Lindor has a deal with Cleveland that runs through 2021, but so far, he declined to ink a long-term extension with the team. Indians ended up making him available for trades this offseason, trying to get the most value in a deal before he approaches free agency. The 26-year-old attracted interest from Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres in recent weeks, but neither came through with a satisfying offer.
“I still have every expectation that Francisco will be our shortstop Opening Day,” Antonetti said during a conference call with reporters. “I’m more confident today in saying that, as more of the offseason has passed. But that’s still our expectation.”
Francisco Lindor was one of the best players in baseball in 2019, even though the Indians narrowly missed the postseason. He finished the year hitting .284 with 32 home runs, 74 RBIs and 22 steals, which earned him fourth consecutive All-Star appearance and Gold Glove Award.
Lindor spent his entire MLB career with the Indians, making his majors debut in 2015. His career stats include .288 batting average with 130 homers and 384 RBIs.