After Welsh star forward Gareth Bale re-discovered his form while on loan with Tottenham Hotspur, many believed he will look to make his return to England permanently. But it seems like Bale has other plans.
In a chat with reporters on Tuesday, Bale said that he intends to return to Real Madrid next season and honor the last year of his contract with La Liga powerhouse.
“There’s no distraction for me,” said Bale. “I think the main reason I came to Spurs this year was to play football first and foremost.”
“My plan is to go back, that’s as far I have planned,” he added.
While Bale’s comments might not sit well with Tottenham’s fans, the truth is that his stay in London past this season was always unlikely. The Spurs don’t have the financial power to handle the player’s massive salary, while Jose Mourinho already downplayed the possibility of his stay in earlier interviews.
After falling out of Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane’s plans, Gareth Bale joined Tottenham on a season loan ahead of the 2020/21 season. While his return to Spurs was met with few hiccups early on, the 31-year-old has been on an impressive run lately.
In his last four starts in the Premier League, Bale scored four goals and added one assist. Overall, he has 10 goals and three assists in 23 matches in all competitions.