Former Cowboys WR Dez Bryant Rejects Multiyear Offer from the Baltimore Ravens

Dez Bryant in 2017. Photo by Shane Roper/CSM/REX/Shutterstock (9201830a)

Wide receiver Dez Bryant is still on the market after being released by the Dallas Cowboys on April 13. According to ESPN, Bryant had a multiyear offer from the Baltimore Ravens on the table but decided to reject it. Sources close to the 28-year-old said that he wants a one year deal, so he can prove himself in the 2018 season and ask for a more lucrative long-term deal in 2019.

Ravens have been interested in Dez Bryant since the 2010 NFL draft when they had a shot to take him 25th overall. Still, Cowboys traded up three spots and snatched him 24th overall. Sports Illustrated reports that Ravens immediately started talks with Bryant after his release from Cowboys, but the two sides couldn’t reach an agreement. After that, the team turned to former New Orleans Saints WR Willie Snead, signing him instead.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported earlier in the week that Bryant will sign with a new team after the 2018 NFL draft. The player himself stated that he is looking for a team that would be a good fit for him and that the finances won’t play the deciding role. He also added that he hopes to stay in NFC East, so he could play against the Cowboys twice a year.

It won’t be about the money,” – Bryant told 247Sports. “It won’t be about ‘market value.’ No. No. Not at all. I’m kinda hoping it’s an NFC East team. If it’s somewhere else, that’s fine. But I’d like to play the Cowboys twice.

Dez Bryant has been struggling with production in the last several years after having three consecutive seasons with more than 1,000 receiving yards from 2012 to 2014. He finished the 2017 season playing in all 16 games and managing 69 receptions for 838 yards and six touchdowns.