Conor McGregor Officially Signs on to Fight Dustin Poirier on January 23

Conor McGregor in 2017. Photo by David Fisher/REX/Shutterstock (9255308km)

Conor McGregor’s return to UFC is official. The former UFC champ told ESPN on Thursday that he officially signed a deal to fight Dustin Poirier on January 23rd.

The fight will mark the end of McGregor’s retirement, which he announced back in June. His last fight in UFC came in early 2020 when he defeated Donald Cerrone via TKO.

Poirier inked his deal last week, so there is nothing standing in the way of what promises to be an exciting matchup.

According to ESPN, the location hasn’t been finalized yet, but UFC’s president Dana White previously said that the organization’s “Fight Island” in Abu Dhabi remains their preferred option. The weight limit for the fighters was set at 155 pounds.

Conor McGregor has a 22-4 MMA record, with his most recent loss coming against Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018.

Interestingly, Dustin Poirier, who has a 26-6 record, also has Nurmagomedov as the last opponent that defeated him. His most recent fight took place in June when he got the win against Dan Hooker via unanimous decision.