Conor McGregor Accepts Dustin Poirier Fight But Only if it’s in 2020

Conor McGregor in 2017. Photo by David Fisher/REX/Shutterstock (9255308km)

It didn’t take long for Conor McGregor to go back on his UFC retirement. The former featherweight and lightweight champion went on social media on Thursday to confirm that he accepted UFC’s offer to fight Dustin Poirier.

The news about a potential McGregor vs. Poirier fight started circling a few weeks ago when UFC president Dana White told the media that the organization made a contract offer to both fighters. At the time, Poirier said he would accept the bout while McGregor was reluctant to sign on and instead proposed a charity exhibition event.

McGregor, who announced his retirement from MMA in May, now changed his opinion and is open to fighting under the condition that it happens this year.

“Hello Dusti! I accepted the UFC offer to fight you, but told them it must happen in 2020,” McGregor wrote on Twitter while listing the dates that would work for him including November 21st and December 12th, which are both dates that Poirier prefers.

McGregor also added that he will make a donation of $500K to Poirier’s The Good Fight Foundation.

Conor McGregor and Dustin Poirier had their last fight in September 2014 at UFC 178 that ended with McGregor’s win via TKO in the first round. Since then, McGregor compiled a 6-2 record while Poirier is at 10-2.