Earlier this month Cleveland Browns’ running back Duke Johnson decided to skip the team’s voluntary program and subsequently asked the team to trade him. However, despite the fact that Johnson doesn’t want to be in Cleveland anymore, the organization seems to be in no hurry to honor his request.
Browns’ general manager John Dorsey recently spoke about Johnson’s trade request with reporters and said the organization and new head coach Freddie Kitchens still have the 25-year-old in their plans for the future.
“I continually keep telling you all that Duke is a very talented football player,” – said Dorsey on Thursday. “We see a lot of stuff for Duke moving forward into the future with regards to him. He is a member of this organization moving forward.”
Several teams reportedly showed interest in acquiring Duke Johnson with New York Jets, Houston Texans and Philadelphia Eagles showing interest. Eagles emerged as a most likely destination for Johnson in the recent weeks, but are reportedly still not ready to pay Browns’ asking price.
Johnson, who was a third round pick in 2015, saw his role being diminished in 2018 and had a career-low 40 carries. He ended the season rushing for 201 yards while adding 47 receptions for 429 yards and three touchdowns.